Getting ready for your photo session? here a few things you should considerate:
For Family/Group shots:
- The best is to choose same tonal range, so no single member of the family stands out.
- Avoid prints, they can look very busy and distract the viewer from the focus of the photo.
- Solid colors are always good.
- Coordinate the colors, but not use the same exactly colors.
- Chose clothes that you feel comfortable with. If you really want to use those high heels, it might be a good idea to bring a pair of flats, just in case.
- Think about the weather, you don’t want to freeze if temperatures drop.
- It’s a good idea if everyone in the group is wearing the same style of clothes (casual, formal, etc.) and try to avoid anything too trend (unless you are going for a particular style). On the future you don’t want to look at the pictures and wonder why you were wearing that…
- Accessories are always welcome and very helpful in getting different looks with the same outfit. Purses, Scarves, shoes, hats, favorite toys, ties for boys, items you use for hobbies, etc. Anything that you would like to show.
- It’s a good idea to have the children tried on their clothes and shoes before the session, to make sure the clothes are not uncomfortable.
- I like to take photos of details, like family feet, hand-holding, child holding something etc., so remember to clean and trim nails for these type of shots. For the grown up girls, nail polish makes a lot of difference! Clean, clean, clean… clean hair, clean nails, wipe eye away, clean nose, and feet, fresh scrub teeth.
- It’s very important to be on time, especially if you session is scheduled before sunset. Because we relay 100% on the sun light, a little before sun is down is already too dark for photos and we have to stop for lack of light. I know it can be challenging with little children, but try your best. We don’t want to lose any of your shooting time when the light is the prettiest.
- If we need, we can always take a little break for snuggles or a little snack.
- Have fun! Have someone taking your pictures can be intimidating at first, but after a few minutes you will start to loosing up. The photo shoot is all about you and believe me, 100% of the people – even dads!! – tell me how much fun they had!
You can see few examples of outfits below. Most of my clients also use Pinterest (I love it), you can always check it out “ideas for a family photo session”, or “what to wear for a family session”.